What to Write in a Christmas Card
Christmas isn’t just the most wonderful time of the year. It’s also the busiest! You’ve got shopping to do, meals to prepare, and decorations to put up. On top of that, you have those all-important Christmas cards to send out! You want your Christmas cards to be beautiful, bright, and festive. Most of all, you want them to contain a warm Christmas greeting that will spread holiday cheer!
We’ve compiled a list of our favorite Christmas card greetings. Since there are many kinds of Christmas cards, we’ve divided them into 4 categories: From the family, for coworkers, cute, and funny. Each of these categories has messages that are tailored to different Christmas cards you might want to send out. Here’s our list:
From the Family
Sending loved ones and friends a family Christmas card is a venerable holiday tradition, most families include a cute family picture along with their greetings. You can sign it with your last name or (if there aren’t too many of you) the names of each family member. Here are heartfelt messages you can put on your family's Christmas card:
A Christmas Story Live / GIPHY
- Sending love and holiday greetings from our family to yours. Have a Merry Christmas!
- We wish you a merry Christmas and a tremendous New year! Love and best wishes!
- This has been a great year for us, and we hope it has been for you too! Holiday season, we wish you and yours all the prosperity and happiness in the world! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
- Wishing you joy, love, peace, and prosperity this Christmas season!
- We are grateful to have a friend like you in our lives! Have a Merry Christmas
- Our family wishes you a holly, jolly Christmas and a happy, prosperous New year!
- We wish you a merry Christmas and a blessed New Year! Thanks for being part of our lives!
- Sending you all our warmest Christmas greetings! May God bless and keep you in the coming year!
- We wish you and your family a joyful holiday season!
- It’s the most wonderful time of the year! We wish you happiness this Christmas and success in the coming year!
We wish you joy this holiday season! May your Christmas be merry and may this coming year be full of wonderful opportunities!
- Have a wonderful Christmas Season! We love you!
- Happy holiday! May the spirit of the season fill you with joy and peace!
- Merry Christmas! We hope the holiday spirit fills your home with hope, happiness, peace, and gratitude!
- We hope the warmth of Christmas merriment envelops you and yours and that this coming year is your best yet!
- Merry Christmas! We hope this message finds you content and happy this holiday season.
- Wishing you a joyous yuletide! May this season be memorable, and may you spend it with those you love!
- We send you our wishes for your health and happiness this Christmas, and continued success in the coming year!
- Sending you our most spirited Christmas greetings! May your days be merry and bright this holiday season!
- We wish you all the happiness and joy you deserve this wonderful holiday season! Merry Christmas!
To a Coworker
Nothing brings the holiday spirit to the workplace like sending Christmas cards to your coworkers. You should keep the tone of these messages professional, but they can still make them warm and friendly! Here are some messages you can send to your coworkers this Christmas:
NBC / GIPHY
- Wishing you a very merry Christmas!
- Sending you my warmest holiday regards! Have a Merry Christmas, and a happy New Year!
- Enjoy your holiday break! See you next year!
- Have an exceptional Christmas, my friend!
- Happy holidays! Have a lovely celebration!
- Christmas time is here! Enjoy the time you spend with your family!
- Wishing you and yours a merry Christmas and a joy-filled new year! See you on the flip side!
- Thanks for being such a great coworker! It means the world to me! Have a Merry Christmas!
- Thanks for keeping the atmosphere in the office jolly! Have a Merry Christmas!
- Merry Christmas! May your holiday festivities bring you joy and fulfillment!
- Here’s to you having a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
- Your contributions to the team are invaluable! I hope you have a great Christmas!
- Merry Christmas! Relax and enjoy your time off!
- You had a great year at this company! Thanks for everything you do for us! May you have Merry Christmas and continued success in the new year!
- Dear colleague, have merry Christmas, a Happy New Year, and a great time with your family!
- A toast to your health, happiness, and prosperity! Happy holiday, my friend!
- ‘Tis the season to be jolly! Have an awesome Christmas!
- Have a Merry Christmas! Be good, and be well this holiday season!
Sweet Christmas Messages
If you are looking for that “aww” factor in your Christmas card, you should add a sweet message. Nothing warms people’s hearts like a thoughtful Christmas greeting. Here are a few ideas for sweet Christmas messages you can send:
CBeebies / GIPHY
- May your days be merry and bright, and may all your Christmases be white!
- I hope you have a lovely Christmas and that all of your dreams come true this coming year!
- Thanks for being a great friend! You taught me what it means to have the Christmas spirit!
- May your fire be toasty,
May your Christmas be white
May your cocoa be hot,
May your New Year be bright!
- God bless us, every one! May you find joy and meaning this Christmas and in the coming year!
- May the Christmas spirit fill you with joy from head to toe!
- Christmas is so full of wonderful things, like presents, trees, lights, and sweets! The most important thing is the time you get to spend with loved ones! Merry Christmas to you and your family!
- I hope this will be your merriest Christmas yet! And may they just keep getting better!
- This special time of year always reminds me of special people in my life, like you! May you have a Joyful Christmas and a wonderful New Year!
- Hope you have merry Christmas, that your cup of joy overflows, that you will feel the love of those around you, that you will be filled with gratitude for what you have, and that good fortune may smile upon you this New Year.
- Sending warm Christmas hugs your way! Love you!
- Have yourself a merry little Christmas! Wishing you a happy Yuletide! May you and your loved ones be happy and blessed this year!
- Did you know that each snowflake is totally unique? No two are the same! Everyone is a precious work of art that will never be duplicated again in the history of the world. Just like you! Merry Christmas!
- Your presence is the only present I need! Merry Christmas!
- You have my warmest love and gratitude for being a wonderful friend over all these years! I wish you a magical Christmas and a joyous New Year!
Funny Christmas Message
If you want to turn to the Christmas merriment dial up to 100, add a funny message to your card! Laughter is the best Christmas gift there is. If you’re sending a digital card, you can include hilarious Christmas memes in your message! Here are some funny Christmas messages that will make your recipient so jolly their sides will hurt:
- Take it easy on the “Christmas Spirit” this year. Remember what happened last year, when you had so much “Christmas Spirit” during the holiday party that you backed over my mailbox? Let’s not repeat that.
- I’m dreaming of a green Christmas. That’s why I moved to Florida! Have fun shovelling snow, sucker!
- Don’t be Scrooge! Make this Christmas a merry one!
- Merry Christmas! Don’t drink too much eggnog!
- I’d wish you a merry Christmas, but we both know all Santa’s bringing you this year is coal.
- You deserve a Merry Christmas! Go ahead and treat yourself to one!
- There are so many great holiday traditions, like giving gifts, singing carols, spending time with family, and desperately searching for the single burnt-out light bulb among thousands that keeps the whole bloody strand from working. I hope you and your family enjoy them all this Christmas!
- Joy to the world! This year is finally over. Thank goodness! I thought it would never end. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
- I’m sorry that getting covid put a damper on your holiday celebration last year. This year, I hope the only thing you test positive for is the Christmas Spirit!
- Here’s a quick PSA: If you hear someone stomping around on your roof this Christmas Eve, call the police.
- I’m afraid Christmas is canceled this year. Santa’s doing 10 years for involuntary manslaughter. Apparently, he ran over someone’s Grandma. He comes up for parole in 4 years. I guess we’ll just have to wait until then!
- Have a Merry Christmas! Look out for mistletoe! ‘Tis the season ;)
- With all that you have going on this holiday season, make sure you don’t lose sight of the true meaning of Christmas: getting lots of awesome stuff! Merry Christmas!
- The Grinch ain’t got nothin’ on you! Cheer up! It’s Christmas!
- Merry Christmas, my friend! P.S. I’ve always loved your taste in sweaters, no matter what everyone else says!
Got a card?
And that’s our list of Christmas messages! Sending out holiday greetings is an important way of spreading the Spirit of Christmas! Make sure your Christmas card has a beautiful design to go with your beautiful message. Our digital Christmas cards are a great option. You can custom design your own in just 4 simple steps! You can also add videos, pictures, or fun Christmas GIFs!
So go and start making those Christmas cards! Make them beautiful and heartfelt, but most importantly, have fun with them! Don’t get too stressed out this holiday season, and enjoy your time with friends and family. Let us know if you have any awesome holiday messages! Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!