This week is hopefully going to be our first week since finding out about this pregnancy that we won’t be seeing a doctor. This was supposed to happen 4 weeks ago, but I ended up in labor and delivery (but still haven’t finished writing a post about that! ?) because I was having trouble breathing at night and my nurse wanted to be on the safe side (everything was totally fine. I just have baby feet on my lungs). So, the bad news is that means no pictures this week. Which is super hard. I love seeing the babies.
The good news is that because we’ve made it this far, the babies are very active, so I still sort of get to see them. Yesterday one of the boys was sticking his back out up near my right rib and just leaving it there, so I had a little lump. This morning one of the boys made a ripple across my belly. All very reassuring.
But, the boys are camera shy and I haven’t been able to capture any of it. ? So I thought it would be fun this week to leave an update about me instead. I usually write a lot about the babies, but not much about the nuances of pregnancy. So hereagoes…
At 27 weeks:
- I hate shoes that require socks and wear my new flip flops with arch support everywhere.
- I crave fresh fruit 24/7, especially strawberries.
- I sleep on the recliner at least once a week, and it is so much more comfortable than our new memory foam mattress.
- I eat a lotttt of ice cream. Like, embarrassing amounts.
- I seem to get heartburn from eating anything other than ice cream, hence all the ice cream. Also, I just wanted ice cream.
- I’ve started very broadly discussing maternity leave with my employer, which is terrifying for me.
- I’ve had to have K remove my Liam ring from my finger using dental floss, because I couldn’t get it off with cold water, lotion, or ice and elevation.
- I can’t wear my wedding rings either (or at least I won’t risk it), so I’m wearing my right hand mother ring on my left hand.
- I often feel like the babies feet are tangled up in my internal organs, although I know this isn’t technically possible.
- I get weird looks when people ask when I’m due and I say July without explaining that I’m carrying twins.(K insists that I say July since the babies will be delivered no later than July 20 even though my due date is Aug. 3)
- I’m no longer taking shots! (I had planned a big exciting announcement about my last shot ever, but I ended up having a weird tapering off a few days early instead due to putting off a shot entirely followed by forgetting a shot followed by worrying about going into preterm labor and intentionally not taking a shot… And then just giving up altogether. Technically I was allowed to stop the shots at 24 weeks, so it wasn’t a big deal. But I never did get a photo evidence of me taking a shot to use as a guilt trip on the boys…)
- I’m not just outgrowing my clothes, I’m outgrowing my maternity clothes. I’ve had to replace my maternity bra, buy an extra stretchy maternity tank top to extend one of my maternity tees, and now need new maternity underwear that doesn’t cut into my ever growing thighs…
- I’m preparing for maternity pictures next weekend! (Something that once scared me)
- I actually can still walk, despite my earlier fears. As long as stairs aren’t involved, I’m still pretty good at it.
- I get real Braxton Hicks now, mainly when I stand up after sitting for a long time.
- My belly button has officially popped.
- I’m actually starting to get used to the idea of taking these babies home.